Tuesday 17 June 2008

Sad songs say so much...

For a long time now I've read the occasional word about the Eels cover of Elvis Presley's 'Can't Help Falling In Love With You'. I've not thought much of it so far, imagining the cover to fall more in line with Eels other covers, such as Get Ur Freak On - a Linkin Park rockiness that worked in that context and not really anywhere else. I never allowed for the possibility it could be any other style - not least that style in which Mark Everett works best - the broken-down and simple tones of heartbreak.

Anyway, I finally got round to downloading everything I could by Eels this last weekend, and as such I finally listened to the track today. Somewhere around a minute in I think something inside of me caved. Everett's cover screams of the pain of love that he works so well with, and is so heart-wrenchingly beautiful I can't see myself ever going through another unrequited love without it playing on loop in the background. And yes, that's a little creepy, but it's nice to know I have something to make my creepy beautiful. I'll have some beautiful blues, if you will...

mp3: 'Can't Help Falling In Love' by Eels

No comments: