Sunday 3 February 2008

The Good, The Bad and the Cinematic: I Am Legend


It took me a while to make it to I Am Legend - caught it just a day or so before it slipped quietly out of cinemas here in the UK. I must say, I enjoyed the film immensely, no matter how far I dug myself back into my seat for shocks I knew were coming.

It had its downsides, I won't deny that. The CGI effects were reminiscent particularly of The Mummy films, which will be a shame when the new Mummy film comes out this summer, no doubt outdoing I Am Legend immediately.

But mostly the film is well-done, managing to be both funny, intensely scary and gritty all at once. Will Smith is fantastic in the role that carries the film, not only on necessity but also on pure acting power. The one thing is that I've had to drop a full two points on from the score it received initially upon finding out what the original ending entailed. I won't go into further detail, but I will say that this film could have had the smartest twist ending since The Sixth Sense if it weren't so afraid to be Hollywood.

6/10

No comments: